John W. King, Esq.
John W. King, Esq. is the Managing Partner of the King Law Firm and practices
in the area of complex civil and commercial litigation, with a focus on
personal injury, automobile accidents, truck and construction accidents,
nursing home abuse and neglect, medical malpractice and wrongful death
claims. Mr. King also represents individual investors, commercial creditors,
real estate investors and developers, general and sub-contractors, and
numerous small business owners in their commercial litigation and bankruptcy
matters before arbitrators, administrative agencies, state and federal
courts, and U.S. Bankruptcy courts (Chapter 7, 11 and 13).
John is dedicated to finding the best solution to fit your individual or
business needs and has gained a reputation as an aggressive attorney,
willing to go the extra mile for his clients families and their causes.
In particular, Mr. King is always willing to fight large corporations
and insurance companies when his clients interest are at stake. Mr. King's
motto is "I try to change and impact families, one case at a time."
Prior to starting his own legal practice, John served as a Associate in
the Corporate and Financial Services Department at the New York law firm
of White and Case, LLP. While at White and Case, John served in the fim's
New York and London, England offices, and was involved in several significant
transactions including: representation of private equity fund in $150MM
high yield debt offering; representation of the third largest rent-a-car
company in U.S. in a $1.5 billion bank financing transaction; and representation
of lender in a $200MM equity offering for Turkey based bank, just to name a few.
Over the years, Mr. King has gained a reputation as an aggressive, and
hard nosed trial attorney that is not willing to simply settle a case,
but is willing to take the insurance companies and other large corporations
to trial for his clients. Some of Mr. King's notable clients and cases include:
Personal Injury/Medical Malpractice Clients
- We recently won a major jury trial against a dentist and oral surgeon accused
of medical negligence for failure to get informed consent and unnecessary
temporomandibular (TMJ) surgery. Mr. King was the lead trial attorney
where the two doctors were found liable during an eight (8) day jury trial;
- We recently won a large settlement for a man injured while walking and
falling in a Kmart store. Kmart settled the case after a lawsuit was filed
and prior to trial;
- We recently settled a case against the U.S. Post Office for injuries suffered
by our client who slipped in the post office while leaving the entrance.
The Post office settled the case prior to suit;
- The firm currently represents the estate of a 95 year old women who died
of a pressure sore, which developed after the negligence of the treating
nursing staff of a major teaching hospital and rehabilitation center.
The wrongful death case is pending;
- The firm currently represents a (12) twelve year old girl who received
significant injuries after being attacked by a pit bull dog, while playing
in a neighbor's backyard. The case is pending;
- The firm was recently hired to represent the family of a (2) two year old
girl who received 1st and 2nd degree burns on her chest, after scalding
water was spilled on her by a negligent employee of a day care center.
The case is pending.
Commercial and Bankruptcy Litigation Clients
- The firm represented a real estate and business owner against a judgment
creditor in the United States bankrupcty court. This case involved the
judgment creditors attempt to seize more than $5MM of business and real
estate assets. The firm filed an emergency petition in the U.S. bankruptcy
court to stop the sale of the assets and to secure the companies interests;
- The firm recently represented a U.S. national working in Shenzhen, China,
as the "legal representative" to U.S. based Sportscraft, Ltd.,
(owned by the private equity firm, Wasserstein & Co.). Sportcraft
filed for Ch. 7 bankruptcy protection but owed 20 of its China based suppliers
more than $17MM. The firm represented Sportcraft's legal representative
in Shenzhen in his attempt to ensure the payment of the companies Chinese
creditors by the U.S. Trustee appointed to administer Sportcraft's
- The firm represented a Paris, France based manufacturer of household goods
before a U.S. bankruptcy court, as a secured creditor in the Ch. 7 bankruptcy
filing for the U.S. based Arts De Provinces company (and its subsidiary
Le Cordon Bleu Institure cooking school). The firm was secured creditor's
counsel in the U.S. bankruptcy proceeding acting on behalf of its European
- The firm currently represents a major midwestern bank, Boulevard Bank,
Inc. (recently acquired by ScottTrade Financial Services, Inc., one of
the nation's largest financial services firms with assets of $21.6
billion), in a breach of contract action against a senior Goldman Sachs
investment bank employee. The bank has hired the firm to pursue litigation
in the state of Arizona courts, where a number of significant issues related
to breach of contract, mortgage foreclosure and the Arizona anti-deficincy
statute will be addressed;
- The firm currently represents a mid-sized educational content publisher
in a breach of contract action against one of the largest publisher's
of educational content for U.S. school's and educational institutions.
The claim was filed in state court and settlement negotiations are pending.
While Mr. King devotes a great deal of time to his law practice, he also
finds time to travel, and spend time with his family. Mr. King is married
and has made frequent trips to Europe (London, Paris, Switzerland, Germany,
Austria and other parts of Wester Europe), Africa (Liberia, West Africa)
and throughout the Caribbean island's (St. Martin is his favorite island).
Mr. King has also previously lived and worked in London, England and the
west African country of Liberia. He enjoys reading about history, sports
and politics, and is an avid golfer. Although still a "high handicapper,"
he recently shot an 87 breaking 90 for the first time.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Personal Injury Litigation;
- Auto, Truck and Construction Accidents;
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death;
- Bankruptcy and Real Estate (Ch. 7, 11 and 13);
- Commercial and Bankruptcy Litigation;
- Criminal Defense (Felony and Misdemeanor).
- B.A., Economics, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- M.P.A., Finance, New York University, New York, NY.
- J.D., Law, Fordham University School of Law, New York, NY.
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar Association, member
- American Bar Association, member
- National Bar Association, member
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, member